SIPA's Annual Building Excellence Awards
The Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA) is hosting the twentieth annual 2023 Building Excellence Awards to recognize association members that build exemplary projects using structural insulated panels (SIPs). The competition allows SIPA members to showcase their best work while demonstrating the design flexibility, sustainability and energy efficiency possible with SIP construction.
Application deadline: January 18, 2023
Winning entries will be showcased at the SIPA Annual Meeting - March 6 - 8, 2023 in Phoenix, AZ.
- High Performance (any size or use category - judged only on special High Performance features or certifications)
- Single Family 'Small House' under 900 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes over 3,000 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes under 3,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings under 10,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings over 10,000 sq. ft.
- Renovations (residential or commercial, includes additions and retrofit insulated panels)
- Affordable Housing (excludes multifamily, home ownership cost must be at or below 50% of median income for location)
Who is Eligible?
Homes and commercial buildings completed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 are eligible.
- The submitting company must be a current SIPA member in good standing
- Structural insulated panels must be used on a minimum of 50% of the building envelope, determined by square footage of exterior walls and roof
- The SIPs used on the project must be provided by a SIPA member manufacturer
- Installers, designers or other parties involved in the project who are not SIPA members will not be recognized in awards materials. However, builders or architects may apply for membership with their entry, but must be full members in good standing prior to the closing date for the entry to receive recognition.
- One winner will be chosen from each category. From the category winners, an Overall Competition Winner and a Runner-Up will be named.
- Judges may hand out Honorable Mentions at their discretion.
- Winners will be recognized at the 2023 SIPA Annual Meeting in Phoenix, AZ.
- SIPA will promote the winning entries on the SIPA website and issue a press release to outside media.
Each entry will be judged on the following criteria:
- Energy efficiency (quantified by HERS Index and other data)
- Design and structural engineering innovation
- Creative use of SIP construction
- Environmental sustainability
High Performance Category Criteria:
- Projects can compete both here and in specific building type category
- Only features pertaining to eco-efficiency, health, resilience, sustainability, and renewable energy are considered here
- Member companies may make multiple entries, but a separate entry form must be completed for each entry (except for same project also submitted to High Performance category).
- SIPA has the right to use the photos to promote SIPs to the construction industry. All entries will be displayed on the SIPA website.
- The deadline for entries is January 18, 2023. All entries must be received by that date.
The following information and documentation is REQUIRED. Entries without the required items will not be considered.
- Complete and signed application (pdf application) or completed online application with a verifiable email address.
- A minimum of two photos showing different views of the completed project.
- Photographs must be submitted in digital form and be at least 2400 x 3000 pixels, or 8" x 10" at 300 dpi.
- Residential projects are encouraged to have a HERS Index calculated by a RESNET certified home energy rater. High Performance category projects must present a HERS Index with blower door data. Commercial High Performance projects must provide other documentation of energy efficiency.
Additional documentation is not required but is highly recommended to give the judges a clear picture of the project's overall design, sustainability, systems integration, and energy efficiency.
- Additional photos showing the construction process and SIP installation.
- Documentation of energy efficiency, such as a HERS report, blower door test results, utility bill data, or infrared thermography.
- A thorough description of energy-efficient technologies other than SIPs, as well as other innovative or sustainable features.
- Comments from the building owners regarding their satisfaction with the building.
- A floor plan of the project. A single page line drawing no larger than 17" x 22" in size is sufficient, Please do not send full blueprints.