SIP Fishery Glenwood MN
Location: Glenwood, MN
|Project Type:||Public Works|
|Manufacturer:||Extreme Panel Technologies|
|Builder:||Kraus-Anderson Construction Company|
|HERS/EUI Index Score:|
|ACH50 - Blower Test Results:||0.36|
Awards/Certifications: Building Excellence Awards, LEED Platinum, Silver
BEA: 2018 SIPA Building Excellence Awards First Place Winner High Performance Commercial/Industrial/ Institutional Buildings under 10,000 sq. ft. category
This new 9,407 sq. ft, two-story facility for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources was constructed on the Glenwood Hatchery site, which produces walleye to be stocked in area fishing lakes.
The building houses new offices and a research lab that evaluates stocking, artificial spawning habitat and genetic performance. The hatchery also monitors invasive species. The DNR- designed facility is built with a zero energy design.
The state of Minnesota loves SIPs, however it does not like our industry. They have used several SIP manufactures and have had several issues on their past projects. This was a make it or break it job for SIPs with the state of Minnesota. If it went well they will continue to specify SIPs, if not they were going to find another way to build. It was a hit, all went great! SIPs made the project on schedule while fighting adverse weather and torrential rains all throughout the build. Plus the tested product goes to prove that this building was tight with a .36ACH@50.
- 10" walls - expanded polystyrene foam
- 12" roof - expanded polystyrene foam
This is a net zero positive building, definitely saving energy!
Getting this built out of SIPs was the only way this building could have been on schedule with the adverse weather conditions.
Labor was saved as the precise cut SIPs saved a ton of time during the erection process. Project came on budget due to the accuracy and time saving of the SIPs. Perry from Extreme Panel got to train a very large contractor (Kraus Anderson) in erecting panels, now they are not afraid of putting up SIPs from Extreme Panel.
- LEED Gold/ B3 certified zero energy building that utilizes natural daylighting and maximizes the use of Geothermal and solar potential.
- Functional, durable and flexible spaces for offices and meeting spaces, with both indoor and outdoor components.
- Welcoming environment for visitors with clean comfortable restrooms, and information.
- Secure facility to serve as the ‘main entrance’ to the Hatchery site, with suitable parking access.
- High Performance windows were used with proper SHGC and U-values to take advantage of solar gain to assist in the building performing like should have.
- Triple glazed windows.
Solar panels installed produce 40KW and it will be expanded in the future to 65KW.