Palo Alto, CA
Premier Building Systems
18504 Canyon Road East
Puyallup, WA 98375
Email Address: james.hodgson
Palo Alto Apartment Project
Palo Alto, CA 94301
Date Completed: May 2018
Sageleaf Forest, LLC
832 Southampton Dr.
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Panels Provided by:
Shell Building Systems
PO BOX 6092
Moraga, CA 94570
Panels Manufactured By:
Premier Building Systems
Multifamily sustainable luxury residences in the heart of downtown Palo Alto, CA.
Three story sustainable luxury homes comprised of one penthouse, two town homes and 10 apartments. The project was developed and designed to provide a positive impact on residence health while promoting renewable, clean energy. The air-tightness of continues framing achieved with structural insulated panels is a significant contribution to customer.
SIP wall thickness and core material: 24,168 sf of 6" SIP Walls
The client aimed for Zero-Energy and sustainable design elements to gain LEED Platinum certification. This commitment is also exampled with the project team employing CA Green Building Code Tier 2 Compliance. This along with the over arching goal of luxury sustainability would not have been possible without the use of SIPs.
Shell Building Systems President, Greg Koepf said, "Of the numerous key features of building sustainably, 6-inch ‘Structural Insulated Panels’ provided the foundation for the project’s efficiency and structural integrity."
• Multi-story building and extreme sustainability throughout every component required extensive planning and systems design. (PV integrated with, Micro-zoning HVAC, Water Heaters, and SIPs envelope)
• Environmental/energy modeling was critical given the building's design with massive floor to ceiling windows in many units.
• Incorporation of a subterranean garage freed up space to design a low-profile building mass to mitigate loss of natural light on adjacent neighbors’ properties.
• LEED Platinum
• CA Green Building Code Tier 2 Compliance (45% better than CA Title 24)
Micro Zoning High Efficiency HVAC System with Heat Pump (locked out when windows open)
• Long-lasting PVC white reflective roof
• Wood grain high-definition digital inkjet-printed recycled aluminum siding
• Stuc-O-Flex Water Way Rainscreen Drainage Mats to facilitate drainage / air flow
• Stuc-O-Flex Elastomeric Acrylic Finish
• Cellular PVC Trim (recyclable)
• High efficiency glazed windows
• Heat Pump Water Heaters & Clothes Dryer
• All LED high-efficiency lighting
• Natural day-lighting lighting design
• Smart-Things Controller; Occupant-controlled lighting in all common areas and inside units
• All electric appliances, no gas service (reduce fire risk)
• Induction cooking
• Heat pump water heaters & clothes dryers
PV System Solar Panels installed to produce 100% of projected energy
• Permeable CalStone Pavers to allow movement of stormwater through the surface, reduce run-off and filter contaminants before it enters groundwater
• Recycled gray water used for landscaping
• Plumbed for toilet flushing using gray water (addition in the future)
• EV Level II charges for every unit to fully power their electric cars!!!
Click on a photo to enlarge.