Cedarwood Zero Energy Home Bellingham WA
Location: Bellingham, WA
|Project Type:||Residential, < 3,000 sq. ft.|
|Manufacturer:||Premier Building Systems|
|Builder:||TC Legend Homes|
|Design Professional:||TC Legend Homes|
|HERS/EUI Index Score:||13|
|ACH50 - Blower Test Results:||0.67|
Awards/Certifications: Building Excellence Awards, Other Awards, DOE Zero Energy Ready Home, ENERGY STAR Certified, EPA Indoor AirPLUS
BEA: 2015 Overall SIP Building Excellence Competition Winner.
2014 Department of Energy Housing Innovation Award winner.
The 1,055-ft2 home sports high-efficiency appliances, a balcony, a greenhouse, a patio, a loft, tongue-andgroove pine ceilings, and solar photovoltaic panels.
A 3.2-kW PV system is all it takes to power the home, thanks to a highly insulated building envelope and high-performance equipment, which helped earn the home a certification from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Zero Energy Ready Home program.
The slab-on-grade foundation was poured over an R-20 layer of rigid highdensity EPS foam. One course of 16-inch-high insulated concrete form (ICF) blocks was set 10 inches in the ground at the perimeter to create the footing wall and to provide R-28 of slab-edge insulation.
- Low utility costs
- SIPs affordable option for high performance building envelope
- Walls: 6 in. SIPs R-26; pre-finished fiber cement siding; house wrap
- Roof: 10 in. SIPs R-42; metal standing seam roof
- Foundation: ICF foundation R-28; R-20 rigid high-density EPS foam board under slab
- Windows: Triple-paned vinyl-frame, U=0.20, SHGC=0.45
- Air Sealing: 0.67 ACH 50
- Ventilation: 30 cfm, 2.7-Watt continuous exhaust fan in bathroom balanced by earth tube that brings in filterered, tempered outside air passively via 100-ft, 6-inch-diameter pipe buried 2 feet below ground inside foundation footing. Spot ventilation fans in kitchen and utility closet
- HVAC: One ductless heat pump 12 HSPF, 21.5 SEER
- Hot Water: Instant tankless condensing gas-fired water heater; 0.96 EF
- Lighting: 100% LED for all fixed lights, 100% CFL for lamps
- Appliances: High-efficiency electric washer-dryer combo
- Solar: 3.2-kW PV
- Water Conservation: Low-flow faucets, shower head
- Other Low- to no-VOC glues, adhesives, and paints; water-based sealer on concrete floor
DOE Link to this project: Cedarwood Zero Energy Home Bellingham WA
To explore other Zero Energy Ready Homes, visit the Department of Energy’s Tour of Zero page.