Time to strut your stuff.... Note the January 10, 2018 deadline!
Check out the addition of two new judging categories.
The Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA) is hosting the sixteenth annual Building Excellence Awards to recognize association members that build exemplary projects using structural insulated panels (SIPs). The competition allows SIPA members to showcase their best work while demonstrating the design flexibility, sustainability and energy efficiency possible with SIP construction. Two new award categories have been added this year!
Click here to download the official entry form and instructions (interactive PDF format).
On-line submission is now available at members login section of sips.org, after successful login
choose the "Building Excellence Awards Forms" option in the right hand margin menu:
Winners will be announced at the SIPA Annual Meeting and Conference, February 26-28, 2018.
Each entry will be judged on the following criteria:
- Design and structural engineering innovation.
- Creative use of SIP construction.
- Environmental sustainability.
New High Performance Category criteria:
- Projects can compete both here and in specific building type category.
- Only features pertaining to eco-efficiency, health, resilience, and renewable energy are considered here.
- Energy efficiency (quantified by HERS Index, blower door and other data).
- High Performance (any size or use category - judged only on special High Performance features or certifications - new in 2018).
- Single Family ‘Small House’ under 900 sq. ft. (new in 2018).
- Single Family Homes over 3,000 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes under 3,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings under 10,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings over 10,000 sq. ft.
- Renovations (residential or commercial, includes additions and retrofit insulated panels).
- Affordable Housing (excludes multifamily, home ownership cost must be at or below 30% of median income for location)
Who is Eligible?
- The submitting company must be a current SIPA member in good standing.
- Structural insulated panels must be used on a minimum of 50% of the building envelope, determined by square footage of exterior walls and roof.
- The SIPs used on the project must be provided by a SIPA member manufacturer.
- Installers, designers or other parties involved in the project who are not SIPA members will not be recognized in awards materials. However, builders or architects may apply for membership with their entry, but must be full members in good standing prior to the closing date for the entry to receive recognition.
- Project must be completed between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017 Winning Entries.
- One winner will be chosen from each category. From the category winners, an Overall Competition Winner and a Runner-Up will be named.
- Judges may hand out Honorable Mentions at their discretion.
- Winners will be recognized at the 2018 SIPA Annual Meeting & Conference in Jacksonville, Florida.
- SIPA will promote the winning entries on the SIPA website and issue a press release to outside media.
- Member companies may make multiple entries, but a separate entry form must be completed for each entry (except for same project also submitted to High Performance category).
- SIPA has the right to use the photos to promote SIPs to the construction industry. All entries will be displayed on the SIPA website.
- The deadline for entries is January 10, 2018. All entries must be received at the SIPA office on or before that date.
2017 Winners were announced at the
SIPA Annual Meeting in Austin,Texas
February 20-22, 2017
The full complement of winners, by category, are posted below.
SIPA extends an appreciative
to our sponsor of the 2017 Building Excellence Awards
2017 Building Excellence Awards Winners
Many thanks to the very innovative designers, builders and SIPs manufacturers who submitted their projects for the 2017 competition.
Thanks to your 2017 competition judges:
- Shilpa Sankaran, Executive Director, Net-Zero Energy Coalition
- Chris Fennell, BuildingInsight, LLC
- Archie Landreman, Regional Director North Central at Woodworks
Winner - Parfitt Residence, Anacortes, WA
Runner up - Justin Residence, Mendota Heights, MN
Winner - West River Vet Clinic, Hettinger, ND
Runner-up - Dale Louwagie Shop, Cottonwood, MN
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional over 10,000 sqft
Winner - Al's Pheasant Ranch, Emery, SD
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional under 10,000sqft
Winner - Ideation Design Group, Phoenix, Az
Runner-up - TIppet Rise Fine Arts Center Olivier Barn, Fishtail, MT
No entries in 2017
Winner - Modernista House, Pompano Beach, FL
Runner-up - Tarrant County Housing, Ft Worth, TX
Single Family Houses over 3,000sqft
Winner - Parfitt Residence, Anacortes, WA
Runner-up - Fox Residence, Poteau, OK
Honorable Mention - Sony Boy Lane Residence - John's Island, SC
Single Family Houses under 3,000sqft
Winner - Justin Residence, Mendota Heights, MN
Runner-up - Ludwig Residence - Dallas, TX
Honorable Mention - Quail Bauer Project, Sioux Rapids, IA
Winner - Peace Church, Rochester, MN
Runner-up - Panama City Beachfront Renovation
Past Award Winners
2016 Building Excellence Award Winners
2015 Building Excellence Award Winners
2014 Building Excellence Award Winners
2013 Building Excellence Award Winners
2012 Building Excellence Award Winners
2011 Building Excellence Award Winners
2010 Building Excellence Award Winners