2018 Building Excellence Awards
Click here to preview the 38 entries in this years' competition
These are the winners Click on the project title to view project details
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional over 10,000sqft
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional under 10,000sqft
- Winner - L'Americana - Pompano Beach, FL by Innova Eco Building System/Capital Group Development
- Runner-up - Oakland Park House - Oakland Park, FL by Innova Eco Building System
Single Family Houses over 3,000sqft
Single Family Houses under 3,000sqft
Small House under 900sqft
- Winner High Performance - Strickland Residence - Oak Harbor, WA by Premier SIPs
- Runner up High Performance - In-Law House - Sweetwater, FL by Innova Eco Building System
The 2018 Judges:
Chris Fennell — COO at Institute for Building Technology and Safety. Chris formerly was VP at NAHB Research Center and President of Building Insight, a marketing/research firm
Ron Jones: Green Builder Magazine (builder, previously on NAHB and USGBC boards, also developed the 1st NAHB/ICC ANSI Green Building Standard).
||Sam Rashkin: Chief Architect with the DOE and runs the Zero Energy Ready Home Program (formerly, Challenge Home and Energy Star Homes).
The Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA) hosted the sixteenth annual Building Excellence Awards to recognize association members that build exemplary projects using structural insulated panels (SIPs). The competition allowed SIPA members to showcase their best work while demonstrating the design flexibility, sustainability and energy efficiency possible with SIP construction. Two new award opportunities were added in 2018... Small House under 900sqft and High Performance consideration for each category!
Each entry was judged on the following criteria:
- Design and structural engineering innovation.
- Creative use of SIP construction.
- Environmental sustainability.
New High Performance Category criteria:
- Projects can compete both here and in specific building type category.
- Only features pertaining to eco-efficiency, health, resilience, and renewable energy are considered here.
- Energy efficiency (quantified by HERS Index, blower door and other data).
- High Performance (any size or use category - judged only on special High Performance features or certifications)
- Single Family ‘Small House’ under 900 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes over 3,000 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes under 3,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings under 10,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings over 10,000 sq. ft.
- Renovations (residential or commercial, includes additions and retrofit insulated panels).
- Affordable Housing (excludes multifamily, home ownership cost must be at or below 30% of median income for location)