Building Excellence Awards
SIPA Building Excellence Awards 2019
Start Planning - Deadline January 11, 2019
SIPA will be publishing details and the application form soon.
|Announced on February 27, 2018 at the SIPA Annual Meeting in Jacksonville, FL
Click here to preview the 38 entries in this years' competition
These are the winners (links to detailed pages for all of these projects will be available here soon)
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional over 10,000sqft
- Winner - Grand Terrace Apartments - Worthington, MN by Energy Panel Structures
(Note: This project was attributed in error to a different member during the awards presentation, our apologies to the two affected members).
- Runner-up - Elmwood Multifamily - Minneapolis, MN by Energy Panel Structures
Commercial / Industrial / Institutional under 10,000sqft
- Winner - L'Americana - Pompano Beach, FL by Innova Eco Building System/Capital Group Development
- Runner-up - Oakland Park House - Oakland Park, FL by Innova Eco Building System
Single Family Houses over 3,000sqft
Single Family Houses under 3,000sqft
- Winner High Performance - Columbia City Home - Seattle, WA by Premier SIPs
- Winner Classic - Chapman Residence - Edmond, OK by Enercept
- Runner-up - Brisson Residence - Ramrod Key, FL by Innova Eco Building System
Small House under 900sqft
- Winner High Performance - Strickland Residence - Oak Harbor, WA by Premier SIPs
- Runner up High Performance - In-Law House - Sweetwater, FL by Innova Eco Building System
The 2018 Judges:
Chris Fennell — COO at Institute for Building Technology and Safety. Chris formerly was VP at NAHB Research Center and President of Building Insight, a marketing/research firm
Ron Jones: Green Builder Magazine (builder, previously on NAHB and USGBC boards, also developed the 1st NAHB/ICC ANSI Green Building Standard).
||Sam Rashkin: Chief Architect with the DOE and runs the Zero Energy Ready Home Program (formerly, Challenge Home and Energy Star Homes).
The Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA) is hosted the sixteenth annual Building Excellence Awards to recognize association members that build exemplary projects using structural insulated panels (SIPs). The competition allowed SIPA members to showcase their best work while demonstrating the design flexibility, sustainability and energy efficiency possible with SIP construction. Two new award opportunities were added in 2018... Small House under 900sqft and High Performance consideration for each category!
Each entry will be judged on the following criteria:
- Design and structural engineering innovation.
- Creative use of SIP construction.
- Environmental sustainability.
New High Performance Category criteria:
- Projects can compete both here and in specific building type category.
- Only features pertaining to eco-efficiency, health, resilience, and renewable energy are considered here.
- Energy efficiency (quantified by HERS Index, blower door and other data).
- High Performance (any size or use category - judged only on special High Performance features or certifications - new in 2018).
- Single Family ‘Small House’ under 900 sq. ft. (new in 2018).
- Single Family Homes over 3,000 sq. ft.
- Single Family Homes under 3,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings under 10,000 sq. ft.
- Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Buildings over 10,000 sq. ft.
- Renovations (residential or commercial, includes additions and retrofit insulated panels).
- Affordable Housing (excludes multifamily, home ownership cost must be at or below 30% of median income for location)
Who is Eligible?
- The submitting company must be a current SIPA member in good standing.
- Structural insulated panels must be used on a minimum of 50% of the building envelope, determined by square footage of exterior walls and roof.
- The SIPs used on the project must be provided by a SIPA member manufacturer.
- Installers, designers or other parties involved in the project who are not SIPA members will not be recognized in awards materials. However, builders or architects may apply for membership with their entry, but must be full members in good standing prior to the closing date for the entry to receive recognition.
- Project must be completed between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017 Winning Entries.
- One winner will be chosen from each category. From the category winners, an Overall Competition Winner and a Runner-Up will be named.
- Judges may hand out Honorable Mentions at their discretion.
- Winners will be recognized at the 2018 SIPA Annual Meeting & Conference in Jacksonville, Florida.
- SIPA will promote the winning entries on the SIPA website and issue a press release to outside media.
- Member companies may make multiple entries, but a separate entry form must be completed for each entry (except for same project also submitted to High Performance category).
- SIPA has the right to use the photos to promote SIPs to the construction industry. All entries will be displayed on the SIPA website.
- The deadline for entries is January 10, 2018. All entries must be received at the SIPA office on or before that date.
Need to see more? The links below will take you to other year winners: